Do you know your skin-type?
It can be tough enough to navigate the ever-growing world of beauty & skincare – with so many products out there today, half the battle is knowing how to choose or eliminate that trendy mask or serum based on your skin’s needs rather than your insta-feed…
How To Find Your Skin-Type
When we talk about our skin-type, we’re really just categorizing our skin based on its ability to produce and retain moisture & elasticity. Everyday factors like environment and lifestyle play a role in how our skin presents from day-to-day, but for the most part, our “type” is a mixture of genetics and hormones.
Wash & Wait
Wash your face, forego moisturizer and see how your skin fares on it’s own. After at least an hour, blot your forehead, cheeks, chin, and nose with blotting papers (toilet paper or tissue paper work too).
- Large marks on blotting paper? You’ve got Oily Skin
- Small marks, concentrated at T-Zone? Combination Skin
- No oil marks on paper? You’ve got Dry Skin
- Face is red, flaking, itchy? You’ve got Sensitive Skin
Now that you know what type of skin you’ve got, it will be easier than ever to show it the right kinds of love & bring out its healthiest, glowy-est version.
Skincare Tips For Oily Skin
- Go Easy On Acne – Our skin produces oils to protect its dermal barrier – the thin layer that prevents bacteria & toxins from entering our bloodstream. Nix products that are too hard on
skin, like high-concentration alcohol and products containing peroxide, that can cause your skin to ramp up its own oil production to protect itself.
- Detoxify Naturally – Instead, opt for skincare with naturally detoxifying ingredients like Charcoal or Green Tea which help your skin detoxify without drying out the skin too much.
- Watch Out For Endocrine Disruptors – Excess oil production is well-linked to hormonal imbalance. Check out this post to learn how you can eliminate hormone-disrupting chemicals from your routine.
- Looking for a little extra detox? Use steam or a warm washcloth to open pores before your next mask or treatment.
Skincare Tips For Combination Skin
- Diminish Damage – You can make a huge difference to the clarity of your skin with a little Tender Loving Care. Be sure to keep skin safe with a non-toxic SPF and daily moisturizer without chemical fragrances.
- Different Strokes For Different Folks – Combination skin requires spot treatment, which can be annoying for those with limited time. If you can’t fathom multiple products/treatments, add products that are gentle and neutral to your everyday routine.
- Go With Your Flow – Combination skin is the most likely to be hormonally-triggered and vary depending on where you’re at in your cycle (FUN). Check out this post all about Hormones & Your Skin for our full-guide to working with hormonal skin.
Skincare Tips For Dry Skin
- Slather & Slither, Baby – Dry skin needs a little help retaining moisture. Using a cream-based lotion 1-2 times per day will help seal your dermal barrier & help keep moisture locked in.
- Keep It Cool – Warm water & artificial heating can be seriously drying: No Bueno for those with already dry skin. Wash with warm to cool water and avoid cranking your furnace during the winter to help keep skin healthy.
- Go Fragrance-Free – Most chemical-based fragrances are made with ultra trying alcohols & other problematic ingredients. Instead, choose products scented with high-quality essential oils or go without scent altogether.
Skincare Tips For Sensitive Skin
- SPF First – Irritated skin reacts to everything and those with sensitive skin tend to be more susceptible to UV
Damagethan other types. Check out this post all about sun safety.
- Learn Your Triggers – Everyone is different. Figure out what works for you (and what doesn’t) by slowly testing products one at a time until you get a better idea.
- Go As Natural As Possible – Sensitive skin can be highly reactive & the wrong types of products can cause big reactions. Eliminate products with long or confusing ingredient lists & choose products with labels you can understand.
Check Out Our Shop
We’ve got products designed for all skin-types.
Check out our shop now & get a free sample with every online order.