Skincare + Selfcare for All Types.
Imagine a morning with 10 extra minutes of sleep, extra snuggles in bed, extra zen while you sip the first taste of morning coffee…
Last week we talked about Skin Science – why your skin hates
If you’re like us, you’ve longed for the kind of glamorous, radiant-from-within skin that means your morning routine can be quick and breezy. The problem is, chemical-laden concealers and foundations that are chock with heavy metals, harsh fragrances and toxic dyes that clog and prevent pores from doing what they do best – detoxify.
Blocked pore exits can wreak havoc on your skin, causing acne, irritation, rough appearance, and advanced signs of aging — which is no
The trick to clear, radiant, youthful skin? Love. Show your skin the love with nourishing food, skincare that heals and makeup that’s gentle and never toxic.
Here are our best tips to help you go foundation-free, no matter what skin type you’ve got…
Skincare for Oily & Acne-Prone
For many with acne-prone skin, the relationship with makeup is love/hate. On one hand, makeup is a savior – a beautiful mask that hides all imperfections. On irritated, erupting skin, though, it can be downright painful.
- Source Your Sebum – Oil production can be triggered by many things, including the use of petrol chemicals, alcohol & peroxide in makeup & skincare. Nix products that are too harsh, which can cause your skin to ramp up its own oil production to protect itself.
- Detoxify Naturally – Instead, opt for skincare with naturally detoxifying ingredients like Charcoal and Green Tea, which help your body produce the right kind of oils while they absorb toxins. Looking for a little extra detox? Use steam or a warm washcloth to open pores before using a mask or treatment.
- Stop Touching Your Face – Bacteria from our hands, phones, etc. are acne-producing ammo, especially if they break through the skin’s surface via open sores or pimples. Avoid touching your face throughout the day, and make sure your hands are clean when you do so.
- Healthy From Within – Sleep, hormones, diet – all can affect your skin. Make sure you’re whole-body healthy, and your skin will follow suit.
Skincare for Dry Skin
Dry skin can be itchy and irritating, and the worst part? Often times, it goes hand in hand with rough-appearance and advanced signs of aging – no thanks. The severity of dry skin can range from your standard flakiness to full-on skin disorders like Eczema & Psoriasis.
- Can’t Handle The Heat – Hot water can dry out skin, as it allows too much of the body’s natural, protective oils to be washed away. Cleanse in cool to warm-ish water.
- Avoid Harsh Products – Steer clear of anything with alcohol or peroxide in it, which will only make things worse. Instead, opt for clean products that nourish your skin and help protect your dermal barrier.
- Smooth Operator – Moisturize with nourishing fats that help draw water into the skin and defend attacks. Remember, oils cannot penetrate the skin’s layer (they just sit on top), so choose cream over a serum for best results.
- Hydrate Your Body – A dehydrated body cannot thrive, and since your problem is dryness, do yourself a favor and be sure to drink plenty of clean, fresh, water.
Skincare for Combination Skin
Isn’t combination skin fun? One part grease-station, one part desert – 100% frustrating to deal with. Much of the time, combination skin is a mix of genetics and environment and while we can’t help rearrange your genes, we’ve got the best tips to help tame your wild skin.
- Diminish Damage – You can make a huge difference to the clarity of your skin with a little Tender Loving Care. Be sure to keep skin safe with a non-toxic SPF and a daily moisturizer.
- Different Strokes For Different Folks – Combination skin requires spot treatment. Use detoxifying Charcoal on oily zones to stave off breakouts, and opt for soothing moisture in areas that are dry to prevent the damage that can cause irritation.
- Go With Your Flow – Combination skin is the most likely to be hormonally-triggered. Check out this post all about Hormones & Your Skin for our full-guide to working with hormonal skin.
Skincare for Mature Skin
Glowing skin is not reserved for the young! As we age, our ability to produce collagen and elastin (the proteins that give our skin bounce and glow) slows down. We can’t slow down the clock, but there are so many other factors which contribute to aging skin that we can affect for youthful skin into maturity.
- Sun Protection is Key – Sun damage is the biggest contributor to wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and other early signs of aging. Be sure to protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays every day – Check out this post on how to stay sun-safe and toxin-free.
- Soften Texture – Rough skin is dull, feels terrible, and collects makeup and oils so you look patchy and unkempt. Choose a gentle exfoliant that sluffs off dead skin and restores moisture balance 2-3 times a week for best results.
- Antioxidize – The world is full of toxins, many of which accumulate in our bodies over time. Be sure to eat plenty of healthy, plant-based foods and offset your skincare with products containing antioxidants like Organic Beetroot and Green Tea.
The Mental Game
Freedom doesn’t come easy.
Half the battle is dealing with the emotional strife and feelings of inadequacy when we go out looking ‘less than perfect’. For centuries we’ve been on the hunt for perfection, and we’re quick to point out flaws when we see them in ourselves and others.
Thankfully, the world is changing, and women across the globe have stood up in opposition of patriarchal ideals of beauty, perfection and desire. Finally, we’re free to be whom, what, and how we choose to be and it feels amazing.
Who are you? Shout it out.
When you first decide to go foundation-free, there will be days when you feel ‘ugly’. As your skin restores balance, you might doubt the process or consider quitting altogether.
Need a little self-confidence boost? Get 10 Tips for Overcoming Low Self-Esteem from Ditch the Label here.
Go Foundation Free
Here at Geti, we don’t just talk the talk. We know the sweet relief of foundation freedom ourselves. Check out these photos from our founder, starting the day she decided to go foundation-free – more than a year ago.
Want to go foundation-free? We’d love to work with you to show the world that life without gooey, itchy, sticky makeup is not only possible, it’s the future! Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know why you want to go foundation-free (hint, we want to get to know you) and you could get the skincare package of your dreams and the chance to work with us on a featured campaign.
Have a question about skincare or a skin concern/issue you want help to resolve?
Leave us a comment below or send an email to email@example.com. Your question could help other people facing the same things! Help us change the beauty industry for the better.
Have you already tried Geti?
We’d love to know what you think in a comment, review in the store, or email to our support team! Create a post on social media and tag @geticosmetics for a chance to win beautiful prizes each month.