Your embarrassing skin concerns – Volume 3
What’s more annoying than a zit that won’t pop?
Milia seem to spring up out of nowhere – tiny, painless lumps under the surface of the skin. Give them a squeeze and nothing happens.
What are these tiny bumps and how can you get rid of them for smooth, even skin?
What are Milia?
First things first – Milia are not acne.
Milia are tiny cysts that occur when Keratin; a fibrous protein which forms the main structure of hair, nails, etc.. They’re not usually red or inflamed, and the hard lumps won’t pop when squeezed (annoying).
What Causes Them?
You read our blog all about Sun Safety and how to reap the benefits of the sun without getting burned, which is good because Milia are a common side-effect of sun damage.
Other potential causes of Milia:
- Clogged Pores/Dead Skin. Pores can become clogged with dead skin, dirt, and grime. Clear it out with a weekly scrub.
- Makeup + Chemicals. Depending on your skin type and sensitivities, products containing heavy metals or petrol chemicals may increase
How To Get Rid Of Them?
Most often, Milia will go away on their own…eventually. If you really can’t wait, there are a few ways you can pop and heal Milium with the help of a professional.
Read this info from Medical News Today…
If milia are causing concern, certain clinical treatments have been used to try and remove them. These include:
- De-roofing. A doctor uses a sterile needle or blade to remove the milia. Do not attempt this at home, as you can run the risk of infection.
- Curettage. A doctor numbs the area, removes the milia, then seals the skin with a hot wire.
- Cryotherapy. The milia are frozen off, often with liquid nitrogen. This can cause blistering or swelling, which should disappear within a few days.
- Minocycline. This oral antibiotic can be helpful in treating certain types of milia, such as milia en plaque.
All of these treatments carry a risk of scarring, except for minocycline, which has other risks. Since milia themselves do not cause scarring, think carefully before undergoing these treatments.
Have a question about skincare or a skin concern/issue you want help to resolve?
Leave us a comment below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get back to you with real information and your question could help other people facing the same things! Help us change the beauty industry for the better.
Check out these unforGETIble Reviews from people just like you who are Geti Ready!
Have you already tried Geti?
We’d love to know what you think in a comment, review in the store, or email to our support team! Create a post on social media and tag @geticosmetics for a chance to win beautiful prizes each month.